I am having a week off my other job to focus on a few things I have had to put on the shelf due to time constrictions.
Mission one, will be to get my tax done. I have most of last financial year on a spreadsheet, but need to update it asap and get it to my accountant. It was a good year business wise, plus I have been paying tax quarterly, so shouldn’t get any nasty surprises this year.
Mission two is to get that sports memorabilia site with joint partner and serial ideas man Brent Loughrey. Not much to do on that one, just some tidy up work to the CSS and we can start to aggressively market this through social media.
Mission three is my joint venture with top content writer Fahim Aalam. We are going to set up a content marketplace which will be a community of freelance content writers. Good content is in high demand at the moment with massive changes made to Google’s search algorithm.
This post is just a bit of an update of what I got up to this week. Did a couple of clients jobs but used the bulk of the weekend to update some of my keyword related websites.
I have added a few of these in portfolio format to get a bit of a domain name portfolio out there. All of these fantastic domain names could be for sale if the price was right, but for now I have monetized most of them.
I used to use Google Adwords, but have lost all faith in Google’s PPC affiliate program. As I have quite a lot of domains I used Adwords heavily to monetize my sites in the early days. However, their support is borderline pathetic as I got my account got banned for reasons unknown and I am also unsure of which website was the issue.
I think the problem was with a couple sites that used the Pligg content management system after Google added the penguin update. Overnight a few of my sites that were previously well received with Google became “bad neighborhoods”, due to my lack of moderating the sites.
Completely understandable, I have tried to fix the issue but Google seems to waging a war against bookmarking sites at the moment so I don’t think I will get a decent response back from them.
Anyway, I digress. The first Google Adsense alternative I started using was Chitika, which is very similar textual ads to Google with some styling options.
The other option I am trying out is Adbrite, which is closer to Google Adsense but has a few limitations with the adzones which has slowed my progress in rolling it out on most of my websites.
Another option which I have been using for years, but only started to better utilise this weekend is the Amazon Associate Program. I am really liking the “My Favorites Widget”! It is highly customisable and you can choose the exact Amazon products you would like to add and to any size you would like. Such as …
Hey! How did that inflatable doll get in there? Anywho, Amazon is a great affiliate program if you want to sell products without actually having any.
The other thing I am getting back into is targeted affiliate programs from top networks such as ClixGalore and DGM. These can be great if you like a bit more control over what is displayed on your website.
I have been a little lazy of late. I have a whole host of projects to do and somehow find plenty of time to stuff around and do anything but what I am suppose to do.
But this week I have the flu and while I didn’t get a hell of a lot done yesterday due to sleeping and catching up on the latest episode of Boardwalk Empire I have made massive steps today.
One project that has jumped to the top of the queue is to monetize my Australian domain names.
A little birdie told me that it is possible AuDA, the Australian Domain Authority is looking to introduce new rules that could see people lose Australian domain names if they do not relate to their business or are not monetized.
This has seen me work double-time to get a script that can setup domain names with keyword content and using sites such as Adwords, Chitika, Adbrite and Amazon to make revenue.
One example of this is Shop Australian. While it only gets around 110,000 local searches per month according to the Google keyword tool at the time of writing, it is a cool domain name that could have an awesome future e-commerce site on it.
Now I don’t want to lose any of my Australian domains and will take steps to ensure they are monetized to protect them.
But this gave me another idea!!! Other people will surely be in the same boat if this whole thing goes ahead, so I will look to setup a free and premium service on a dedicated server purely for Australians to monetize their domains.
The free plan will be for up to 5 domain names and the premium plan will be for unlimited domains for AUS $19.95 per year.
I will be looking into other commission based sites over the week and hope to have version one a little more polished. Watch this space!
Been a bit lazy of late with doing any of my own projects as I have been busy with clients work.
Just finished a custom script that generates pages of content for a clients products for every suburb in Australia which is getting some fantastic results. Google has listed around 31,900 pages already and has got some awesome page one long tail keyword results.
But back to some of my own projects. I have been working on a website monitor. Nothing new, but this project is more geared for people with mobile devices as there doesn’t seem to be many options in this department.
Another project is more of a quick cash grab than any technological advancement.
A friend has access to plenty of signed & framed sporting memorabilia so we are setting up a couple of websites for auctioning these items.
These two projects head the top of my list as they are the easiest and most rewarding for little effort. But I also plan to setup my own DNS service and mobile search engine as long term projects.
Well, now that I have publicly voiced these ideas, I hope it will give me a bit more drive to follow through and not bench the ideas for others.